Saturday, November 13, 2010

NANOWRIMO Day 12

Click here to read day one if you haven't already

The Epic Nerf Gun Ambush Continues

After the boy sat back down with his parents, all Hell broke loose. The remaining four guys started finding as many lost nerf darts as they could, and hightailing it out of the restaurant, glancing nervously at each other, making sure no one in their group had turned tails after the demise of the kid at the middle table.

Three of the ninja-boys escaped, but when the leader of the pack got stopped by the policemen making their way into the restaurant. “You threatened to kill someone?” He said, blocking the kids exit.

“I…” the kid said, flustered too much to speak.

“Son, did you or did you not tell the manager that you would shoot him if he interfered with your plans?”

“Well, yea, I did.” Flustered the boy again. “But,” He waved his nerf gun in front of the policeman, making sure not to point t at the policeman. I wished he would have. I can just see him being charged with threatening a policeman, armed with a nerf gun. “It was all just a game, see? My college is playing assassins and that guy,” he said, pointing over to the middle table, to the kid who was calmly eating a quesadilla burger, “Max, he was the guy to beat. Nobody can get him while he’s on campus, I swear he’s like a ghost. Only showing face in classes, where we’re not allowed to shoot one another. My friends heard his family was going to Applebee’s and we figured we could get him then. We would have got him in the parking lot, but when we got here he was already inside.”

“I see. So you told the manager that you’d shoot him as well?”

“Yea, I mean, Max has single-handedly shot down half of everyone who is playing. The rest of us see each other and shoot and hide, like the game is supposed to be played. But Max, no one ever sees him, and when you do it’s cause he’s collecting your game card. I figured a nerf dart wouldn’t hurt the manager, but it might buy me and my group enough time to take Max out of the game.”

“So you told the manager that you’d shoot him if he got in your way? Yes or no.”

“Yes, I think I did say that. But you understand, right? It’s not right for one person to dominate the game like that.”

“Yes, yes, I understand. Put your hands behind your back.”

“Wh-wh-what?” The kid’s eyes went wide in fear.

“You heard me. Drop your weapon and put your hands behind your back.”

The kid dropped the nerf gun and placed his hands behind his back, apparently smart enough not to argue with the policeman’s instructions.

“I’ll tell you what’s not fair. If this is a college game, it should be played at college. Max was just enjoying a meal with his family and you ambushed him. That, son, is not fair. I’m charging you with verbally threatening the manager, assault in the fourth degree for waving your gun at me, and assault in the fifth degree. You are now under custody, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.” He said, taking handcuffs from his waist and securing them around the kid’s wrists. “You have the right to have an attorney present when questioning, if you do not have an attorney one can and will be provided for you if you wish.”

“Bu-Bu-But, I have classes tomorrow Sir. My parents aren’t from around here. There’s no one to bail me out.”

“You won’t get bail set till we get you arraigned anyways. You’ll have to be kept overnight at the county jail for tonight.” The police officer said, pulling the guy out of the restaurant and into his car.
I blinked a few times and returned to my health-conscious table. “Can I get you guys anything else?”

“Does that sort of thing happen often around here?” The woman asked.

“Not usually.” I said, after a pause, in which I considered the popcorn bowl incident from last night. At least the cops weren’t called in for that one. “Are you ready for your check?” I asked the couple, trying to slide back into my role as a waitress and not contemplate all that had just happened.

“Yes please.” Said the guy. “Though, add one more Coors Lite before printing it out. I didn’t get to enjoy my last one thanks to that kid.”

“Ok, I’ll be right back with it then.” I said, heading over to the bar.

I ringed up the Coors Lite, printed their receipt and waited for the bartender to give me the bottle. He handed it over and I retuned to the table, handing the guy the Coors Lite and passing over the check book. “Here’s your check. If you need anything added to the check that’s not a problem. Just let me know and I can always update it. When you are ready to pay, put your payment inside and lay it down on your table and I’ll be by to get it.”

As I walked away from the table I noticed that my table of older ladies was gone. I went to the table and picked up the check, before going to get a tray to collect all the dishes and cups. Before I returned to the table to clean up the mess, I opened the check book and saw inside three crisp hundred-dollar bills. I stared at the money for a few seconds, glancing at the check to see how much I was tipped. The three older ladies had left me with 232 dollars on top of their near-70 dollar meal. I grinned widely and stashed the cash in my cash baggie. I was starting to get tired again, but that just sealed my tips for the night. Even if no one else tipped me I would be OK. Better than OK even. I wished the older ladies had given me time to thank them. I put the check book back in the check book holders and went to fold silverware.
I was still folding silverware when Jason came up to me. “Marti?”

“Yea?”

“Sage says you haven’t been feeling well.”

“Well I did have a dizzy spell yesterday.” I admitted. “But other than feeling worn out I feel pretty good today.” I said, finishing the silverware I was working on.

“So can I put you on closing then?” Jason asked hopefully.

“I figured you would. Sage didn’t, but that’s just because I got all dizzy on her shift and she caught me. I’ll be fine.” I said.

“Great!” He looked relieved. “I will make sure that you aren’t overwhelmed or anything.”

I laughed. I didn’t need the money, but I genuinely enjoyed the job. “It’s not a problem Jason. Just don’t make sure I’m bored.”

“Of course not.” He said. He didn’t leave. Just kind of stood there contemplating something.

“Yes? Anything else?”

“You want to check everyone else out?”

“Sure.” I shrugged. Better me than someone like Sean. Sean was another favorite the managers turned to when it came to closers and who was going to sign the receipt saying that the team member’s did their side work. The problem was that Sean also liked being liked, and often let the other servers go before all of the side work was complete. Never mind that meant leaving it for the closers, or possibly the morning crew. I didn’t take any crap. If people wanted to leave and I was checking side work, then the side work got done. That meant less silverware left for the closers and morning crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here please!